Every year the Environmental Working Group (EWG)(1), a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to protecting human health and the environment, publishes the a shopper’s guide regarding pesticides in produce. The EWG’s 2019 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce™ is also known as the Dirty Dozen™ and the Clean Fifteen™.
Organic foods offer a wonderful way to get the quality nutrition you need without the harmful pesticides and chemicals found in non-organic foods. The Dirty Dozen™ list guides you to produce you should always buy organic, while the Clean Fifteen™ lists fruits and vegetables that use the least amount of pesticides.
The Dirty Dozen™
The Dirty Dozen™ are twelve foods that you should buy organic whenever possible. If you have a limited budget for organic foods, these are the items from the produce section that you should spend your money on. Remember that the foods of the dirty dozen have a high level of pesticides that could hamper your natural healing efforts.
According to EWG’s 2019 Shopper’s Guide to Pesticides in Produce™, the dirty dozen include:
- 1. Strawberries
- 2. Spinach
- 3. Kale
- 4. Nectarines
- 5. Apples
- 6. Grapes
- 7. Peaches
- 8. Cherries
- 9. Pears
- 10. Tomatoes
- 11. Celery
- 12. Potatoes
The Clean Fifteen™
The Clean Fifteen™ are foods that don’t need to be organic to get the best quality, the least amount of pesticides, and optimal natural health. Some of these fruits and veggies don’t retain pesticides, or very few pesticides are used in their production. Buy these foods as conventional produce and save your money for the dirty dozen.
The clean fifteen include:
- 1. Avocados
- 2. Sweet Corn*
- 3. Pineapples
- 4. Sweet Peas Frozen
- 5. Onions
- 6. Papayas*
- 7. Eggplants
- 8. Asparagus
- 9. Kiwis
- 10. Cabbages
- 11. Cauliflower
- 12. Cantaloupes
- 13. Broccoli
- 14. Mushrooms
- 15. Honeydew Melons
* A small amount of sweet corn, papaya and summer squash sold in the United States is produced from genetically modified seeds. Buy organic varieties of these crops if you want to avoid genetically modified produce.
Remember that local foods aren’t always organic, but you can find local farmers whose produce has fewer pesticides than those found in the supermarket. Local and organic foods are good for natural healing and can be wonderful additions to your holistic health plan.
Call us at (800) 993-4325 to learn more about our body-mind-spirit programs, in San Diego and Austin, today. If you want to find out more about holistic health and more tips on eating healthy foods in California, come to Optimum Health Institute.
(1) Environmental Working Group; https://www.ewg.org/
Spring is also the ideal time to renew, refresh and recharge your body, and blossom into the healthiest version of ‘you’ that you can be. Make this season the time you do an Optimum Health Spring Cleanse – from the inside out.
Here are some tips on making your cleanse an Optimum Health Spring Cleanse:
1. Choose a Plant-Based Diet. Opting for the freshest live, raw organic vegetables, seeds, nuts, and fruits, instead of animal proteins, is a smart start. Sprouted grains, packed with fiber, antioxidants and amino acids, boost the body’s ability to absorb nutrients and vitamins.
2. Plan Your Meals. Begin your personal spring cleanse by mindfully choosing what you put on your plate at each meal. Transitioning to a primarily raw plant-based diet helps the body detoxify, clears mental fog and benefits blood pressure, heart function and the entire digestive system.
3. Combine Your Foods for Optimum Digestion. Because the body digests different nutrients at different rates, how you combine your foods is as important as making the healthiest food choices. While it only takes about 15 minutes to digest apple juice, it can take up to three hours for the stomach to process a dense oily protein, like avocado. The protein will keep the juice in the stomach longer, causing it to ferment and distressing the system.
4. Optimize Digestion. Tangy fermented foods not only add delicious taste to your meals – they are bursting with probiotics. These beneficial bacteria spring-clean your digestive system by promoting better absorption of nutrients and minerals and crowding out unhealthy bacteria.
5. Promote Regular Elimination. Healthy digestion means regular elimination and a happy, healthy colon. This is achieved by choosing the right foods, eating them in the right combination, and regular colon cleansing.
While smart food choices and combinations will aid in spring-cleaning your body, so will the enemas and implants, or E’s & I’s, you learned to do at OHI. Regular colon cleansing helps boost the immune system, leads to more energy and healthier skin, assists with weight loss and reducing acid levels, and even helps you concentrate more effectively.
It’s National Health Month – so there’s no better time than now to take these five steps toward revitalizing your entire being with the Optimum Health Spring Cleanse. You’ll be thrilled with the results – from the inside out.
Visit OHI and Revitalize! Call (800) 224-2620
Take the 14-Day Detox Challenge where you’ll learn how to relax, develop a positive attitude, and focus on what matters most to achieve a happy, fulfilling and healthy life.
When You Take the Detox Challenge, You’ll Experience:
- Weight Loss*
- Increased Energy
- More Radiant Skin
- Sharper Mind
- Healthy Body
- Better Sense of Well-Being
During your detox journey at OHI, you’ll feel supported by our staff, missionaries, and other guests. As an added bonus to your detox challenge, enjoy a special savings…
Commit Today to the 14-Day Detox Challenge Where You’ll Experience:
Weight Loss* – Women can lose about 5-7 pounds the first week and 2-3 pounds each week after. Men can lose about 7-10 pounds the first week and 5-7 pounds each week after.
Increased Energy – Practice gentle exercise and walk every morning. Stimulate the lymphatic system to eliminate toxins, boost the immune system, and contribute to the healing process.
More Radiant Skin – Eliminate toxins through juice fasting and eating our organic meals. Plus, you’ll make an organic face mask, apply it, relax, wash it off, and feel radiant!
Sharper Mind – Learn alpha state meditation techniques that tap into your sub consciousness, access your creativity and intuition, visualize positive outcomes, and increase your awareness of God.
Healthy Body – Practiced for many centuries around the world, detoxification is the process of cleansing the body to promote healing and longevity.
Better Sense of Well-Being – Learn the spiritual disciplines related to breathing to release stress, control pain, increase emotional awareness, enhance concentration, and facilitate personal growth.
Once you’ve completed the Detox Challenge you’ll look better, and you’ll feel like a new person. These changes are essential to a long-term healthy lifestyle.
*This is not a weight-loss program. Weight loss varies per individual.
Don’t Miss Out on This Powerful Detox Opportunity!
Call Now: (800) 224-2620
Conscious breathing, the deep, rhythmic inhalation that fills the lungs and pushes out the belly, is a practical, positive way to neutralize nervous tension. “Belly breathing” immediately switches on the parasympathetic nervous system to release stress, reduce anxiety and blood pressure, and increase energy levels.
It instantly produces a relaxation response, which puts you in a profound state of contentment and peace. Meditation, yoga and muscle relaxation can be incorporated with conscious breathing to enhance the positive benefits.
Besides rushing oxygen to your brain to give you clarity and focus, conscious breathing delivers waves of oxygen to every cell, facilitating the release of toxins throughout your body as it simultaneously pumps up your speed and endurance. Medical research shows a conscious breathing practice can help prevent subsequent myocardial infractions in heart attack patients.
Other benefits of conscious breathing include:
- Increasing emotional awareness and releasing past hurts. People suffering from anxiety, depression, addictions, low self-esteem and even weight issues were able to better handle their health opportunities with a regular practice of conscious breathing.
- Reducing both chronic and acute pain. Conscious breathing is an important component of the Lamaze method of natural childbirth, which was first popularized in the 1950s.
- Personal and spiritual growth. All major spiritual traditions incorporate conscious breathing into their practices. Deep breathing helps facilitate a spiritual connection to the divine by triggering love, joy and forgiveness. It also enhances our awareness of our unity with everyone and everything in the universe, bringing optimum health and balance to the body, mind and spirit.
You can enjoy these benefits of conscious breathing right now. Here’s how:
- Find a quiet place (no, not the movie). You’re looking for a spot where you won’t be interrupted.
- Sit or lie down. Go ahead. This will only take a moment.
- Take a normal breath. Simply inhale and exhale once at a normal rate (we usually breathe at 10-20 breaths/min).
- Then inhale deeply. Now breathe in slowly through your nose. Allow your chest, then your belly, to rise for a count of four. Observe how your abdomen expands fully as your lungs fill with air.
- And exhale slowly. Breathe out through your mouth or nose. Don’t force it. Let it come easy for a count of four.
- Commit time to practice. That felt good, right? Now practice at least 10-20 minutes daily for maximum results.
Find even more motivation and support at the Optimum Health Institute missions in San Diego and Austin. (800) 224-2620